onsdag 13 oktober 2010

Otto

Ladies and Gentlemen; Meet Otto.




According to the web page for the animal shelter closest to me, he's an elderly mutt, born circa 1996. Otto has a heart problem, but he’s generally a happy and active dog whom like both cats, other dogs and children. Sounds like the perfect dog right? Well, apart from the expected life span, of course.

The sad thing is he'll never know how much he's wanted. Ever since I saw his photo, I’ve been in love with the damned thing. Me, the cat person extraordinairé, pining after a dog. Madness, I say, Madness!

But for whatever reason, I can't seem to shake the feeling that's MY dog. The one who'd fit perfectly into my family. A happy companion for my daughter, an appreciative tail-wag at the end of the day for me (probably along with irritating hair shedding and disgusting slobbering, but hey, who said you could have everything?) and a gentle companion for the boyfriend. (Me, having unrealistic expectations of a dog I haven’t even met? Naah...)

So what’s holding me back? Two things really. Well, mostly anyway.

First; Morning walks. Neither me nor my daughter are what you’d call early birds. It’s imperative that the boyfriend handle those, and since he’s yet not living with us, I hold him totally and solely responsible for the incompleteness of this family. Well, no, I really don’t. But I could. And sometimes, I’d really want to.

Secondly: What you’ve been thinking all along. 14 years old AND a heart problem. He’d probably not survive the drive home.

Mongrel: cur; mutt; mixed breeds; dogs of unknown ancestry and questionable parentage.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar