torsdag 17 januari 2013

Membranous glomerulonephritis. Round 2. Week 4.

End of week 3 on medication. Bib and hamster cheeks galore :)

Week 4:
Medication: 200mg cytotoxins (Cyclosporin), 64mg cortisone and other assorted goodies.

My doctor called after a series of tests. There weren't enough cytotoxins in my system, so we've added another 50mg. He didn't mention lowering the cortisone as planned, so I guess the time frame we initially discussed is delayed.

Week four, the side effects: I sleep 4-6 hours per night. Dryness and strange taste in mouth. Mood swings, easy bruising, and more swelling. My face literally feels like it's in a pressure-cooker. The added cytotoxins burns in my veins, it feels like my blood is cooking or something. It'll pass once I get used to the dosage, but it is one of the side effects I have forgotten to describe earlier. I've also experienced some aching of the joints, particularly my knees and ankles. It could have something to do with my muscle mass, which weren't restored from Round One, now starting to run on empty and me overdoing it. I'm not sure.
I'm still chatty as hell and quite manic.

This is pretty much what my schedule looks like at the moment:
06-07:00: I wake up
10:00: Take my meds
12:00: Nausea, cold sweats, weakness
14-16:00: Nap
22:00: Take my meds
24:00: Nausea, cold sweats, weakness
01-02:00: Fall asleep

Tip: If you have a full day planned, set aside the next one for nothing but taking it easy. You'll need to recharge.

If you're not receiving preventative antibiotics of some kind, you will be more receptive to fungi infections. Check your toes, your crotch, armpits, under the breasts and mouth. Make sure you're completely dried off after a shower, maybe even walk around in your birthday suit a while ;) There are prescription free salves at your pharmacy.

Mental health: Getting depressed could be so easy, if you'd let it. Which we won't! Here are some of my feelgood tips: 

  • Skip the chores at home which you find tedious and indulge in whatever you feel like doing. Being at home does not a domestic slave make. 
  • Play corny, but happy music on high volume. Bananarama, BeeGee's, Katrina and the waves. Pretty much anything from the 1980's is good fun. Disco too. Sing along!
  • Socialize. Never mind the way you look. Your friends and family already know your particular type of  crazy. Now your outside just matches what they knew was on the inside.
  • Other people's remarks. No doubt, someone is going to hurt your feelings one way or the other. You being so obviously sick scares immature and ignorant people, and reminds them of their own mortality. Quietly wish them a healthy dose of personal growth, not to hell. Be better, not bitter.
  • Keep busy. Pinterest is good for a shitload of ideas.
  • Take self portraits. They're no fun to look at now, but with distance you're going to appreciate having proof of what you've gone through. Don't believe me? Take a look at this one from Round One: 
Hot Damn, I couldn't be more gorgeous :)

Moving on to more serious things: I've mentioned the importance of moisturizing before. The reason for this is not only the annoying skin sensitivity. Cortisone makes you swell up like a pig, and the longer you're on cortisone, the more you will swell. The change is quick, and your skin, if anything like mine, won't be able to keep up. The results: Stretchmarks. I wasn't warned about this during Round One. My doctor's only warnings were: “Your immune system will suffer, you'll be a little disoriented and experience some swelling. Stay away from salt, stop smoking and loose some weight.”

So, needless to say, my first set of treatment with cortisone ripped my skin open like crazy. On the shoulders, under my arms especially, behind the knees, and on my upper abdomen. I wear my childbearing stretchmarks proudly, mother nature gave me those for a purpose. I'm not so crazy about this second set of scarring.

The scars  on my shoulders. There are a few more on the back, but they are smaller.

The stretchmarks start at the lower end of my breasts,
 goes up under the armpit, arm and continues almost all the way to my elbow.

By now, I think I've covered pretty much the basics, and there will be just more of the same for as long as I'm on medication, so my posts on Membranous glomerulonephritis, Round 2, will dry up a bit. I will post sporadically if something comes up, and when it's time to cut down on the medication I'll be back with posts on the withdrawal symptoms. Yes, there are those to battle a well. 

Until then I'll leave you with a before and after picture of me. Day One and by the end of the fourth week on meds. It ain't pretty, but it's true. :S


4 weeks of medication and swelling.

Take care, and don't be too shy to be in contact should you have any questions!

Sincerely,
Pepsi-Mama

2 kommentarer:

  1. This is a topic which is near to my heart... Cheers! Exactly where are your contact details though?


    Here is my homepage ... http://houseofhomecraft.blogspot.com/

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Hi House-of-homecraft!
      You or one of your loved ones got glomerulonephritis too? My sympathies! If you've got any questions you don't want to post here you can mail me at tanjabjorklund(at)yahoo.com.

      Radera